A recovery installation allows you to install the eLux operating system on a device's flash memory and/or to reset the device to the initial state.
In the following cases a recovery installation can be suitable:
- The client does not boot any more (=> restore)
The flash memory of the client does not provide an image/is empty
- The local device password was lost
The operating system on the flash memory shall be replaced by eLux
A factory reset of the image on the flash memory is required
- Migration to a later eLux version (alternatively see the Migration short guide)
- If critical feature-packages (.fpm) in the Base OS are updated, the client requires a recovery installation before an update can be performed.
A recovery installation will overwrite all data on the storage medium and install the eLux software. It cannot be undone.
A recovery installation can be performed in two different ways:
- via USB stick if the client hardware supports booting from USB mass storage devices
via network if the client's network adapter supports PXE